Saturday, June 13, 2009

Homegrown Whitewater!

It is that time of year again for me!
I love the outdoors. I guess it is why I live in the mountains. Fresh air and the changing seasons. Not to mention all the wildlife! PURE HEAVEN!

In the 8 years I have lived in Tennessee, I have never missed a chance to get out into the wild. To that end I have taken up the sport of whitewater rafting! The main reason for this is, I live right next to a class 4 whitewater river. Some say this river was the runner up for the river scene in Deliverance! "Last of the Mohicans" was filmed along the "chucky" (as the locals here call it). Along with some documentaries.

The CC&O (Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio) Railroad (Now CSX) ran/runs along the chucky. The CC&O was one of the largest in southeast at its prime. Could you imagine floating down the river in a jonboat and seeing those mighty steam engines rolling up and down the valley! WOW

Ok enough chit-chat.
I try to go atleast once a year (rafting that is). I have a company I like ofcourse. Don't get me wrong. I have tried all three outfitters here. I just have a preference is all. What comapny you ask? Well if I told you then that might make one less seat for me! (joking)

My company of choice is Cherokee Adventures. There are a few reasons for this. First is the fact that they are the first licensed outfitter in the state! The second is they are devoted to the Nolichucky (which is a great river to run IMHO. They do run other rivers but the "chucky" is the one they prefer. More on the river a bit latter.). Third is the saftey record of this company can't be touched (saftey is important in a wilderness setting). Forth is my value for my dollar. CA's price for what you get is awesome! They have packages to suit any adventuous spirit!

The Nolichucky is a natural flow river. It is not dam controlled so the amount of water depends on the amount of rain in the water shed. It is said among seasoned guides, "If you can learn to run the Noli at any water level...You can run any river in the world!" The Nolichucky is divided into two sections. The Upper Noli and the Lower Noli. The upper is where the real adventure is. With over 25 class II to class IV rapids, it is the place to go for high adventure!

The Lower Noli is for those that want an outdoor adventure but dont want a hard core workout in the process. The lower have class I and class II rapids with a single class III at the end of the trip. This type of whitewater is perfect for those that are older or too young to run the upper. or those with dibilitating conditions (Like ME!) It gives us the oportunity to get out into nature and have a bit of adventure along the way!

So... It is that time of year again...Time for me to get out and enjoy the day! Want to enjoy one with me? Give CA a call. The number is on the website!

Jason
Follow Me On Twitter
http://twitter.com/fallenknight73

No comments:

Post a Comment